There could be different reasons to drive to Mexico from the USA or Canada, and you might require multiple items according to your purpose of visit. But there are a few mandatory things to have if you are about to drive across the borders. If this is your first cross-country drive, you are at the right place to know the essentials you will be required during your trip.
Personal Documentation That You Need For The Trip
- A US passport or green card to ensure that you are a resident of the united states.
- A US driver’s license to confirm that you are legally permitted to drive the vehicle.
- A Mexico tourist card or entry permit (FMM)
These are the documents that should be named after the person traveling or driving the vehicle to Mexico. Also, if you are going with co-passengers, they need the first and last document on the list. Now, there are certain other documents related to the vehicle that will be necessary during the trip.
Vehicle Documentation For A Cross-Country Trip To Mexico
- Firstly, the crucial paperwork required is the proof of car registration.
- Then you will need a Temporary Vehicle importation Permit (TVIP).
- And finally, a Mexican tourist auto insurance policy will be essential.
Most of the vehicle insurance policies don’t cover outside country borders, and also Mexican laws are pretty different than those of the united states. So, it is wise to have a short-term Mexican car insurance policy before you start your journey. You can get one from any online Mexican insurance store, for which you don’t even need to wait until you reach Mexico.
Besides these, you can always contact the state department to confirm any additional required items for a hassle-free trip to Mexico.